What makes a pet door so important? Well, if you love your pets like they are family, you want to give them the freedom to come and go as they please. If they want to get some sun, run around in the backyard, or simply lounge outside, you need to make sure that they are able to do it even if you are not there.
These special type of doors are small openings that will only fit your pets. Since this will practically be left open all the time, you want to make sure it will not compromise the safety of your home. Of course, you also have to consider the beloved member of the family that will use it.
What to consider before you get a pet door
Before you choose the right type or model of the pet door, you need to consider a couple of things first.
- Obviously, you need to consider where you will put the door. Will this be leading to the backyard? For security reasons, you want to avoid putting it in your front door – but that is not completely a taboo. If that is the best place to put the door, then go ahead and do it. Just make sure that you know exactly where to put the pet door in the location that you are opting for. Make sure there will be no plumbing, electrical wires that will be disturbed when the opening is installed.
- Another thing that you need to consider is the features of the door. Do you want it to be manually opened or should it be done by remote? A lot of the pet doors with cool technical features that you need to consider – like a microchip, electronic collar key, etc. When deciding, you need to look at your beloved pet – their size, capabilities, etc.
- Finally, you want to make sure your decision will not compromise your finances. You need to set a budget. How much can you safely spend on the pet door? The budget will really narrow your options down.
When you go through all three of these, you need to make sure that you find a balance. While you want to make sure you can stick to your budget, you should also be honest with the features that will compliment what your pet will need. If you want an energy efficient door, that will cost more – although it will help save money on your energy bills. Consider all your options so you can make a smart decision about this.
Pet door options
Now that you know what you should consider, it is time to get to know the different options that you have when it comes to pet doors.
- Double Flap. These are the pet doors that has a double flap feature that keeps the house insulated even as the door opens and closes.
- Standard Pet Door. These are the doors that are installed in an actual door. It can be in both an interior or exterior door. Most pet doors are a made to be installed in a wooden door.
- Wall Pet Door. Another option is to install a pet door through a wall. This is actually easier to manage – especially if you want to remove the door. Just make sure it will be installed by a professional so no moisture or leaks will be a problem when the weather outside becomes too unbearable.
- Sliding Glass Pet Door. You can also install a pet door by removing one of the panels of your glass door. This does not require you to cut through anything. The glass will be removed and replaced with a framing, flap, and even a lock. This depends on the type of pet door that you will have installed. If the glass panel is too big, it is possible to cut it and have a whole glass panel made with a pet door at the lower portion.
- Window Pet Door. There are also options for you to put the pet door in a window sash. This is usually a great option for cats. This is possible for windows that slide up and down or sideways.
Once you have an idea about the right type of pet door, look for the right company to install it. That is as important as having the right door for your beloved pet.